The AFL Ripper Skipper 2022 NFT collection shoots up with success, selling out in 12 hours
Image source: Getty Images
The Australian Football League or AFL recently released an NFT collection called the Ripper Skipper 2022 NFT which sold out as soon as it went online.
Earlier this year, the AFL announced a five-year partnership with Animoca and Be Media, suggesting that NFTs will be released in the future.
Skipper Ripper NFT
AFL NFTs are based on the captains of the championship teams.
There are a total of 78 “Great Moments” for future owners to collect, each with different highlights with the AFL team captains in the 2021 season.
NFTs are more than just portraits of captains; They also include a video clip and audio of the captain in action.
Each NFT pack gives potential owners a 90% chance of getting Community Cards, 8% for Deluxe Cards, and 2% for Ovation Cards.
Packages cost $34.39 and the project reportedly made over $130,000.
Ripper-Skipper NFT packs also have a 10% chance to grant a special Genesis Ball NFT with extra utility between the three cards.
With the utility, AFL Mint plans to evolve by adding specific NFTs in hopes of providing engaging experiences for AFL fans.
Game day events, unique content, and Metaverse hangouts with players are planned. The launch
The NFT Ripper Skipper 2022 was launched on Wednesday as part of the AFL Mint program.
The program allows people who are members of the “white list” to purchase one of the 3,800 self-service packages.
Once NFTs became active, they were sold out in less than 12 hours.
Executives chime in
Kylie Rogers, AFL’s Executive General Manager Customer and Commercial, is excited about the opportunities offered by NFTs. He said:
“Through our AFL Mint brand, we will launch exciting new moments across our men’s and women’s competitions, plus celebrate past greats and other product releases that will bring a unique fan experience we haven’t seen before.”
Be Media CEO Jordan Fogarty and Animoca CEO Yat Siu reiterated their views on NFT’s demise, both mentioning the word “excited” multiple times.
The 2022 NFT Ripper Skipper launch shows that the AFL is following in the footsteps of other international sports codes that have committed to Web3. NBA Top Shot received critical acclaim in 2020 and earlier this year the UFC unveiled UFC Strike.
Ripper Skipper 2022 is not just because other Australian sports codes have done the same.
Cricket Australia (CA) and the Australian Cricketers Association (ACA) both signed multi-year licensing agreements in April with Singapore-based collecting platform Rario and trading firm NFT BlockTrust.
Queensland Rugby League has also deposited 10,000 NFTs, called The Ultimate Queenslander NFT, on the Flow blockchain.
AFL’s first limited-edition NFT drop sells out in under 12 hours
Ripper Skipper: the AFL launches its first set of limited-edition NFTs